5 signs your alternator is failing
Your car’s alternator is an important component that plays the role of keeping your engine running. Consequently, the experts at your local Auto Value Certified Service Centers recommend having your alternator regularly inspected to catch any minor problems before they escalate into costly problems or total breakdowns. Here are five signs your alternator may need to be replaced.
- Your lights are dimmer than usual. Do your headlights seem dimmer than usual? Are your vehicle’s interior lights flickering erratically? These are two sure-fire signs your alternator isn’t producing enough power.
- Your electronics malfunction. If you’ve noticed your car’s power windows or mirrors are operating slower than usual, your alternator may be to blame. Your radio may also shut off unexpectedly when driving.
- You hear strange noises. If you hear a loud hissing sound when starting your car or a high-pitched squealing noise when driving, you may have a problem with your alternator. These sounds could also indicate that the belt and pulley system responsible for turning the alternator are misaligned.
- Your battery warning light is on. If the battery-shaped warning light suddenly appears on your dashboard, your vehicle requires immediate attention. If this happens, safely pull over and turn off any accessories that consume energy, such as the air conditioning system, heated seats and radio.
- You smell something burning. If the alternator belt is misaligned, it may rub against the pulley, producing a burnt rubber smell. If you see smoke, it could also indicate you have an electrical problem. Either way, you need to act fast, because the belt could snap or a fire might break out.
Comprehensive inspections and repairs
If you want peace of mind behind the wheel, make an appointment at your nearest Auto Value Certified Service Centers. Our expert mechanics will inspect your vehicle’s mechanical systems from top to bottom, including the battery and alternator. If our team notices anything out of the ordinary, we’ll immediately let you know and recommend you repair or replace the part.
Service is the difference. We get it!