6 tips to prevent your car from being stolen
Car thieves can be crafty. That’s why it’s important to do everything you can to keep your vehicle safe. Fortunately, the experts at Auto Value Certified Service Centers have put together a list of six things you can do to help prevent your car from being targeted.
- Don’t leave valuables in your car. It’s best to keep valuables like your cellphone, wallet and purse locked in your trunk or with you when you leave your vehicle. Any items that are left out in the open could potentially attract a thief.
- Park in safe places. Car thieves often work under the cover of night and tend to target vehicles parked in dark, remote locations. Therefore, it’s best to park in busy, well-lit areas. Additionally, whenever you can, park your car in a locked garage.
- Use an anti-theft device. Investing in an anti-theft device such as an immobilizer, steering wheel lock, brake lock, alarm system or tracking device is a great way to protect your vehicle from thieves. Some insurance companies offer discounts for installing anti-theft devices.
- Deter fake tow trucks. Did you know that some thieves use tow trucks to steal cars? Therefore, to make it more difficult for a criminal to snag your vehicle, turn the front wheels all the way to the left and engage the hand brake when parking next to the curb.
- Don’t leave your car unattended. Have you ever left your vehicle running for a few minutes when quickly running into the store? Unfortunately, this is an open invitation for a thief to nab your car. If you can’t supervise your vehicle, turn it off, lock the doors and take the keys with you.
- Identify your vehicle. Thieves often dismantle cars and resell the parts to make a quick buck. Therefore, a great way to deter criminals is to put anti-theft tags on your vehicle or have your car’s identification number (VIN) engraved on the windows and other high-value parts.
Did you know that, under certain conditions, you can be fined for leaving your vehicle unattended? In fact, Quebec’s Highway Safety Code states that “No person may leave unattended a road vehicle that is in his custody without previously removing the ignition key and locking the doors.”
Trusted auto repair shop
Do you want to protect your vehicle from thieves and unexpected breakdowns? If so, make an appointment at your nearest Auto Value Certified Service Centers. Our experienced team is available to serve you all year long!
Service is the difference. We get it!