How to jump-start a dead car battery
It’s a freezing cold morning. You get ready for work, hop in your car, turn your key in the ignition and… nothing. You try again; still nothing. It’s time to face the music: you have a dead battery on your hands. We at Auto Value Certified Service Centers would like to teach you how to jump-start your car safely and effectively, but be warned: it’s not quite as easy as it seems.
What kinds of precautions should you take when recharging a dead car battery?
To avoid hurting yourself or causing a short-circuit and damaging your car (or the car of the person who’s helping you out), follow these safety guidelines:
– Verify that your good Samaritan’s car battery has the same voltage as yours
– Move the two vehicles close together, but make sure that they don’t touch
– Don’t smoke
– Wear work gloves and safety goggles
Jump-starting your dead car battery in 10 steps
1. Engage the emergency brake
2. Put the vehicle in neutral (for a manual transmission) or in park (for an automatic transmission)
3. Shut off the headlights, heating system, radio, and anything else that requires power
4. Connect a red cable clamp to the positive terminal of the dead battery
5. Connect the other red cable clamp to the positive terminal of the good battery
6. Connect a black cable clamp to the negative terminal of the good battery
7. Connect the other black cable clamp to the dead vehicle’s engine block or any other metal engine component located at least 30 cm away from the battery (this will prevent sparks from flying)
8. Start the working vehicle
9. Start your car by following the instructions for cold-weather starting in your owner’s manual
10. Unclamp the cables in reverse order after letting the engine run for at least five minutes
Auto Value Certified Service Centers takes your car battery’s health to heart
Is your car battery in tiptop shape, or is it on its deathbed? To find out, make an appointment at one of our repair shops. At Auto Value, we make it our mission to ensure your car is as safe as possible. And if you’re in the market for a reliable roadside assistance service, be sure to ask about our Safe Route program!
Service is the difference. We get it.